Saturday, October 28, 2006

Beauty killed the Beast

Well, it's time for a look at the outside. Right now I'm nearly 37, overweight and wearing a lovely moisturising face mask, what a vision. But scrubbing up does make a difference, this summer a waiter in Paris was so transfixed he kept telling me how beautiful I was. And of course when Miss Nicola was a younger, thinner version, that type of thing happened more often.

But the weird thing was that it made me feel so uncomfortable. When men have said 'you have beautiful eyes' or tried to chat me up, inside I was squirming. No, I am not Scarlett O'Hara, nor was meant to be, apologies to T.S.Eliot! In fact, when I went to the opera with my dad and wore a blue dress and the full face of slap, I felt like Calamity Jane in a dress! But of course, being pretty on the inside is what matters, and I've got much better at that. Partly the march of time, partly Buddhism, partly who knows? Tonight it is time to put on the face in a jar for din-din with my family. In Cardiff's glamorous Bay, maybe another waiter will take a fancy to me. But this time I want a free dinner!

*** No free meal but the taxi driver wanted to come in for a cup of tea. Thanks but no thanks, not my type, like the French waiter. Flattering, however.

No comments: